Wednesday, May 18, 2011

NTT Docomo Yoyogi Building - Bad?

I for one am not a fan of the NTT Docomo Yoyogi Building. I am not an art or architecture critic, but I know what I like... And I don't like this building.

For me it is banal, boring and derivative.  It aspires to greatness by invoking some of the forms in classic skyscrapers in America from the 30's but falls flat.  It has buttresses and a large clock.  If you squint really hard, you might see the silhouette of the Empire State Building.  With all of the antennas, dishes and transmitters mounted near the top, the building looks more like a part of a spacecraft than a building.

Anyway, it dominates the sky on the western side of Tokyo.  You can see it when you are walking along the Yamante line from Harajuku to Shinjuku.  My photo was taken from inside Yoyogi Park.

No comments: