Sunday, January 22, 2012

Kadomatsu and other decorations...

I'm trying to catch up on some random end of year photos.  Things I should have posted and didn't get around too.  I'll start with the end of the year and see how much I can catch up on...

This set of  photographs is of New Year's decorations in Japan.  These are not by any means comprehensive, but just a few of the ones that I saw out and about town.

The first and last photos in this set I am sort of confused by.  It seems that the first is some sort of shimekazari, but I am just not sure.  It has the paper lightning, and the wreath like rope but, doesn't have the other decorations I have seen on other shimekazari.  Hmmm...


The next two photos are of a pair kadomatsu that I spotted outside a large house in the Motoazaubu area of Tokyo. I thought the pair looked like a grand decoration for a private residence.



The last photo is some sort of odd mini kodamatsu. It had many elements of a "traditional" kadomatsu, bamboo, pine branches and a plum sprig.  However, it was missing the staw.  I don't know enough about Japanese culture to be sure what it means, but it was pretty. I'll have to do more research or perhaps someone more enlightened can share their knowledge.


No comments: